Effective Tips for Preventing a Flea Infestation
Fleas are one of the most common pests in the world, affecting humans and animals alike. Since they can wreak havoc in your home, it’s important to understand how to recognize and prevent them. Read on to learn more about preventing a flea infestation. However, experiencing a flea problem doesn’t mean you have to handle it alone. Instead, call on your flea exterminator pros to get the job done efficiently and adequately.
Protect your pets.
Household pets are especially susceptible to fleas, which makes them prime targets for bringing them into your home. First, put your dog or cat on flea prevention medicine through his or her vet. This will kill off any fleas that attempt to attach themselves year-round. It’s also wise to heed the following advice:
- Keep an eye out for fleas regularly.
- Bathe and brush your pet often.
- Prevent interaction with wild animals.
- Be especially cautious of fleas after your pet has been outdoors for long periods.
- Inspect the typical spots for flea bites are neck, on top of their tail, belly, and behind their back legs.
Protect your home.
Preventing fleas in your home is straightforward. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Sweep or vacuum well and often. Vacuum your carpets and rugs as well as cushions on chairs and sofas. Be sure to empty the vacuum bag outside when finished.
- Clean bedding, especially pet bedding, frequently with soap and water.
Protect your yard.
Since dogs are people can easily carry in fleas from outdoors into the home, consider the following steps for securing your yard:
- Mow the lawn frequently.
- Don’t overwater your grass as fleas prefer damp and humid environments.
- Get rid of clutter, leaves and debris. This will prevent any shelter or breeding environments for fleas.
- Don’t give wild animals, such as deer, opossums and rodents a reason to visit your yard. Keep food in sealed containers and don’t leave unsealed trash outside. These critters are common carriers of fleas and can easily bring them onto your property.
Wave Goodbye to Your Flea Problem
If you suspect a flea infestation at your business premises or at your home, a professional pest control company is your best bet. They will work with you to streamline a treatment and extermination plan suited to your needs.
With a Professional rodent control and maintenance schedule, you will keep your flea problem at bay. Avon Pest Control has a team of flea exterminators who serve Surrey, Delta, White Rock, Langley, and all of Metro Vancouver. Call us today at 604-805-0278 and get rid of fleas on your property – residential or commercial!