Factors That Increase Chances of Being Bitten by Bed Bugs
It should come as no surprise that bed bugs are the worst case scenario for both commercial and residential areas. While there is a lot you can do to prevent them and minimize your risk, you might unknowingly be giving these pesky bugs more chances to bite you and cause an infestation. In this blog, we’re going to cover some of the factors that increase your chances of experiencing bed bug bites. Most importantly, if you or someone you know is dealing with bed bugs, now is the time to contact your professional bed bugs exterminator.
Why are bed bugs attracted to you?
Granted, bed bugs simply want to feed on whoever presents the opportunity. However, some factors might make you more desirable for them, including:
- Carbon dioxide: When you sleep, you emit carbon dioxide. Since you’re staying in one place, the concentration of carbon dioxide is higher. Bed bugs know that means one thing: food.
- Body heat: According to Bed Bug Insider, whether you’re in bed or not, you’re naturally much warmer than your surroundings. If a bed bug senses that the air in a particular location is high in carbon dioxide, but is also warmer than the rest of the room, they know they’re on the right track.
- Personal scent and pheromones: Bed bugs, being predators, are attracted to our scent and pheromones. When bed bugs smell people or animals, our scent directs them to us.
- Blood type: It’s been proven that bed bugs prefer the type of blood that they fed on as babies. If there are several hosts with varying blood types, the bed bugs will naturally prefer to feed on the one they’re most accustomed to. However, when there is no option, they will feed on whoever is available.
- Warmer room: As we’ve covered in past blogs, bed bugs feed year-round. However, they’re more active in warmer months. If you tend to keep your home or room extra warm, you might find an increase in activity.
Contact a Professional Exterminator
Bed bugs are not a pest you can get rid of easily or with natural remedies. In fact, this is the time to call the pros. The sooner you call them, the better off you’ll be.
For Guaranteed bed bug Extermination in Vancouver, Surrey, and all Lower Mainland, contact us today at (604) 805-0278, or fill out our online form. We have a 6-month guarantee and 100% success rate. We’ve been a BBB Lower mainland accredited company for over 16 years.